Thursday, February 22, 2007

An unrepentant Lent

Ok, I've already messed up Lent, and I am quite unrepentant about it.

You see, you're supposed to give up all the alleluias during Lent, but I can't manage it.

Actually, I had already done it before I got home from Ash Wednesday service last night.

When I left, I had an old Gaither Homecoming CD playing (Yes, I do like Southern Gospel) and before I knew it, I was singing along.

"Hallelujah to the Lamb,
Hallelujah to the Lamb that was slain upon the tree,
By His stripes we are healed,
By His blood we are sealed,
Hallelujah to the Lamb of God."

When I got home, I had to sit in the car for a minute and pull myself together. Between the Ash Wednesday liturgy reminding us of our mortality and need for repentance, the sermon on God's constant and abiding love for us, and the honest praise offered by the singers on the CD, I could not restrain my gratitude and the tears fell. I could not stop the alleluias. They just came along with tears of appreciation for my Savior.

I'm not even actually sorry, so I did it again today.

I really believe that our recognition of our need for redemption and the acknowledgement that it is provided through the sacrifice of God's Son, Jesus, should move us to worship. Our recognition of our mortality should cause us to glorify the Holy Eternal One. It should spill out like my Hallelujahs last night. Our desire to praise and worship should overtake us and burst forth in spite of our best intentions to be sedate, serious, and contemplative.

So, I leave you with a hymn about repentance and the need for Salvation

AND hallelujahs, too!

anything but typical

Hallelujah! What a Savior by Philip Paul Bliss 1875

Man of Sorrows! what a name

For the Son of God, Who came
Ruined sinners to reclaim.
Hallelujah! What a Savior!

Bearing shame and scoffing rude,
In my place condemned He stood;
Sealed my pardon with His blood.
Hallelujah! What a Savior!

Guilty, vile, and helpless we;
Spotless Lamb of God was He;
“Full atonement!” can it be?
Hallelujah! What a Savior!

Lifted up was He to die;
“It is finished!” was His cry;
Now in Heav’n exalted high.
Hallelujah! What a Savior!

When He comes, our glorious King,
All His ransomed home to bring,
Then anew His song we’ll sing:
Hallelujah! What a Savior!

No comments: