Wednesday, July 18, 2007

I almost killed a guy yesterday.

My car has a leak in one of the hoses in the power steering system, and I'd like to try not to burn out the pump before I can get it fixed. So I went down to the auto parts store to get some power steering fluid.

That's where I almost killed a man.

Here's how it went.

I went in and asked the young man behind the counter, told him that I needed power steering fluid for my 2004 Kia, and asked him where I could find it.

At that point the young man took his life in his hands and said,"Are you sure that's what you want? What did your husband ask you to get?"

I took a deep breath, tried not to jump across the counter and gouge out his eyes, and said very quietly, "My husband asked for a loaf of bread and a gallon of milk, but what I need is power steering fluid. Now, just point."

Now, my husband is a smart man, and can see a leak in a hose just as well as I can. But that's just it. I CAN see gunk dripping out of the car, and yes, I do know what a power steering pump looks like. The little fluid level chamber is very clearly marked on my car, so I can figure out for myself if the level is low. A Y-chromosome is not necessary to open the hood of the car and check these things. Kenny was not home when I noticed the problem and I did not feel any fear or trepidation about looking for the problem myself. And honestly, I probably would still first look for myself.

My Dad didn't raise me to avoid anything because of my gender. I have helped him shingle the roof and paint the workshop. I helped him do wiring in a house we lived in when I was a kid and helped him pull the transmission out of an old station wagon. He came over several years ago and helped me change out the power steering pump on a 1992 Jeep Cherokee. (See, I have power steering pump experience.) He and Mom always told me that being a girl didn't excuse me from anything. Femininity does not exclude intelligence and being ladylike does not demand dependence on others.

Paul said that in Christ there is no Jew or Greek, no male or female, that all are the same in Christ. No one is higher or more valuable than the other. And while we may all have different jobs, strengths, weaknesses, and purposes to fulfill, God made us all in His image. While some may believe that my being female disqualifies me from serving in particular roles in the church, I disagree. I believe that the problems occur (1)when women fail to do what God tells us to do, and (2)when others prohibit or discourage us from doing as God has commanded because of gender.

After all, to whom must I give my answer for my obedience - God or man?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I give all I can to apologize for all men and try to be differnt. Sorry.