Saturday, March 24, 2007

A Weather Report

It has been a truly dreadful week.

Monday and Tuesday were so bad that I went to church service Wednesday - even though I knew I would be late - glad for the peace, quiet, and familiarity of a liturgical service, glad to go and just be there, glad to not be responsible for all the answers to all the problems.

I know I'm not the only one in the world who looks to people on the outside to have it all together and to feel on the inside like she's holding on to the precipice during a hurricane by fingernails long overdue for that manicure.

But God knows.

Even we we think He's not listening or ignoring us or whatever.

He hears and He knows. And He gives us the strangest answers.

I went for a drive tonight to the gas station and took the long way home. I was feeling quite overwhelmed, underappreciated, overworked, and undersupported. I have offered up many prayers this week and shed many tears with no end in sight to the stressors in my life. And as I turned on the radio, I heard "I'll praise You in this storm/ And I will lift my hands/ For You are who You are/ No matter where I am/ Every tear I've cried/ You hold in Your hand/ You never left my side/ And though my heart is torn/ I will praise You in this storm".

I had to pull into a parking space and pray. I had to tell God that I was sorry for being such a demanding, whiny baby, and witholding the grateful praise He wants and desires. I've been feeling neglected because I have felt taken for granted. But I've been treating God that way, too.

I'm a firm believer that for the most part, love is a choice. I choose to love my husband, and because I make that choice, I spend time on our relationship even if that means I sacrifice my own wants and needs sometimes, just as he does because he chooses to love me.

Well, God chose me, too. And I choose to love God. That means that I have to choose to love, serve and be obedient even in the storms that buffet my life and even if God doesn't rescue me the way I think He should, or even if He says, "No".

I choose to love Him because He is the Father Almighty, Creator of Heaven and Earth, of all that is - seen and unseen. I choose to love Him because He loved me enough to send Jesus. I choose love Him because Jesus loved me enough to choose to sacrifice Himself to make things right.

I choose to praise Him in my storm because He chose to be there, too.

anything but typical


PRAISE YOU IN THIS STORM as recorded by Casting Crowns

I was sure by now
That You would have reached down
And wiped our tears away
Stepped in and saved the day
But once again, I say "Amen", and it's still raining

As the thunder rolls I barely hear
Your whisper through the rain
"I'm with you"
And as You mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise the God who gives
And takes away

I'll praise You in this storm
And I will lift my hands
For You are who You are
No matter where I am
Every tear I've cried
You hold in Your hand
You never left my side
And though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm

I remember when I stumbled in the wind
You heard my cry
You raised me up again
My strength is almost gone
How can I carry on If I can't find You

As the thunder rolls
I barely hear You whisper through the rain
"I'm with you"
And as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise the God who gives
And takes away

I'll praise You in this storm
And I will lift my hands
For You are who You are
No matter where I am
Every tear I've cried
You hold in Your hand
You never left my side
And though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm

I lift my eyes unto the hills
Where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord
The Maker of Heaven and Earth

Written by Mark Hall / Music by Mark Hall and Bernie Herms ©2005 Club Zoo Music (BMI) / SWECS Music (BMI) (admin. by EMI CMG Publishing) / Word Music, LLC (ASCAP) / Banahama Tunes (ASCAP) (admin. by Word Music, LLC)

No comments: